Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Empyre Pro 200 creosote in air box  (Read 10213 times)

MaverickM23

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
Empyre Pro 200 creosote in air box
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »

On my newly installed Empyre Pro 200 I noticed Im getting a liquid like creosote mixture dripping out of the air box where the blower attaches. Took the blower off and found about an inch of creosote in there. Its not blocking the hole to the firebox but its thick on the bottom. Cleaned it all out and talked with my dealer and he said perhaps Im loading wood at the wrong time, before its all burned down. So I tried this past week to let it burn down further but Im still getting creosote in the air box, enough that I am cleaning it once a week. The one day I came home and the blower was on but the flapper was stuck shut, all it took was a slight bump and it opened but I don't know how long it had been like that. I cleaned it all off but its still getting covered. Now that its cold here I definitely don't want the flapper to stick shut. Anyone else encounter a problem like this? I am burning dry wood 12 to 18% and my return temp is never below 140. Other than that the stove is working great.

ecc_33

• View Profile
Re: Empyre Pro 200 creosote in air box
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

I haven't had the door sticking shut or open. But do have the exact same slimy black goo all over my firebox. Sometimes it comes out the front door alittle and once seen just a tad out the gasser door. I have REALLY dry wood. Dead elm thats been dead for prob 7 years or more. Im putting wood in mine when its less than half full. I can't go all day now and I work 10 plus hours a day so fire it every 12-14 hours. Maybe I shouldn't fill it completely full?

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »

I have the pro 400 and have not had any creosote out the blower.  I get a fair amount around the door frame but I scrape it everytime I load it to get rid of some of it.
Gilford NH

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »

Hey guys, if your on a schedule and can do this, try not to overload the stove

I understand we sometimes cant be on a schedule, but if you overload and dont let it burn down real well, youll have more creosote issues.   
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MaverickM23

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »

Belknap do you use pro former or anything? I get some around the door but like you I scrape it off when I load it. I do have the bottom of the stove where the pipe comes in insulated real well. Where is the stove supposed to get air for the blower. I noticed the right hand leg has a piece cut out of it but mine has some insulation in it, not sure if its to be filled in or what. What do you guys have with yours. Its been cold here lately like in the single digits and I hardly get any ash, its amazing how well it burns up when its cold.

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »

I have been using the pro forma and it seems to work good.  My tubes are always just fly ash and very little build up.  I did notice this last time I cleaned it that it was a bit more work I think because I am burning more now that the temp have gone down.  I think I am going to get the flue cleaning tool and I think that will make the cleaning a lot easier.  I was wondering the same thing about where the air comes from for the blower.  There is a hole on the side right near the blower and I was wondering if the air comes in there.  I should look around more just have not had the time.
Gilford NH

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:59:32 AM »

How often are you guys cleaning the gasser chamber? It always seems to have a bunch of coals in it. I have been trying to pull some out every day.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »

How often are you guys cleaning the gasser chamber? It always seems to have a bunch of coals in it. I have been trying to pull some out every day.

U dont have to pull them out daily I dont think... 

Always be gentle when scraping across the refractory

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

ok thanks Scott, I dont ever have ashes really always just coals mostly that I take out. Maybe im always jumpin the gun on cleaning this thing. The tubes in the back never really have anything in them. Just very very little ash.

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 07:08:34 PM »

I  have been cleaning the secondary burn chamber every other day.  I usually have just ash but make sure you clean it out before you move any wood around in the burn chamber.  If you do it after you will get a lot of coals.
Gilford NH

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 04:41:46 AM »

Whats your guys trick to cleaning the tubes in the back with that pipe/snake cleaner tool? The horizonal tubes are a breeze but the vertical ones are a mother to get that tool in and out. Bout wore me out yesterday lol and there wasn't hardly anything in them.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:50 AM »

now that its getting colder try turning it up to burn hotter say 180/185
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 06:49:57 AM »

Yes cleaning the vertical tubes out can be a bear.  I look at is as good work out.  I am going to buy the clean out tool for the cordless drill.
Gilford NH

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »

Where do you guys buy your pro former from? I would also like to get the tool for the drill. Were can you get those from? I assume online?

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »

I ordered my pro forma from Scott.  I ordered the tool from http://ecomfort.com/empyre-elite-xt-pro-deluxe-flue-active-tool-92366.html
Gilford NH
Pages: [1] 2 3