Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Maxim Pellet Furnace  (Read 14332 times)

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
Maxim Pellet Furnace
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »

Anybody out here have knowledge on or experience with the CB Maxim Pellet Furnace??  Looking for known problems, pros and cons. 

Thanks in advance!!
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
Re: Maxim Pellet Furnace
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »

Anybody out here have knowledge on or experience with the CB Maxim Pellet Furnace??  Looking for known problems, pros and cons. 

Thanks in advance!!

Their were earlier models that were catching fire     But I think they resolved that issue            the price of corn will kill you right now          You always have wood pellets.      I have heard that run time is pretty long before a refill  and produce alot of heat nice and small not very big compared to wood boiler.           
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

Onlypellets

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: Maxim 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »

I've had a maxim 250 going on our third year and it's been really good. The only issue I had with it was a temp. sensor that shorted out last spring and took out the fuse. All and all it's ben really great, typically burning about 40# or more a day (all softwood) not to bad for central Wi.

p.s. they resolved the fire issue with a sensor on the main auger chamber to a control valve connected to water resevoir with a hose to the hopper auger.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

the dealer where i bought my underground pipe was burning a maxim stove and he told me he averages 200 a month (i think that is what he said) he also said he buys pellets by the pallet load from the maker and bypasses the store mark up

i didn't really pay that much attention as i am a wood burner. ask around some more, i could be wrong on what he said and what i heard ???
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »

I know of a couple people that have them and they burn 8-12 ton per winter heating an average size home, around 2200-2400 sq ft.  Most of the time pellets can be bought around 220 per ton, I sell pellets but there isn't much mark up in them, if I buy 30 Ton in April of good pellets they'll run about 165/ton delivered.  That of course is hardwood "hamer hot ones" the best ones I've saw. 

So if your paying retail for pellets they can be from 200-300 per ton, a few years agp there was a shortage and they went to 300/ton. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

koutsman

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »

We had a Harmon indoor pellet stove in a house we owned from 03 through 05. The house was a little less than 3000sq. ft.  I just looked it up we used around 2.5 to 3 ton a year and the price was anywhere from 175 to 200 a ton. But I think in 2006 they went up a lot. We did see them at Menards in South Bend in November for 168a ton thats the lowest I had seen them ever in our area!!
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:10:51 AM »

We had a Harmon indoor pellet stove in a house we owned from 03 through 05. The house was a little less than 3000sq. ft.  I just looked it up we used around 2.5 to 3 ton a year and the price was anywhere from 175 to 200 a ton. But I think in 2006 they went up a lot. We did see them at Menards in South Bend in November for 168a ton thats the lowest I had seen them ever in our area!!

Yea and you've really gotta watch for cheap pellets, Pennington are some of the worst I've seen. 

Indoor units are much easier on pellets as there is no heat loss anywhere in the system and it's not heating every room to within 1 degree like a central unit, that takes more wood/pellets than people realize and them throw in hot water usage.  It all adds up, my dad is heating his garage and an apartment on 1 pellet stove, the air out of the pellet stove blows across a heat exchanger coil, and is pumped to the apartment where the fan blows across another coil and heats the apartment, water temp only reaches 114 but with a constant fan running it maintains near 70 all winter in the apartment
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

gmmaxim250

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 04:08:31 AM »

I had my maxim installed in July.  Started burning pellets on July 22.  I will not use it to heat hot water in the summer again, unless I like really expensive unlimited hot water.   My wife commented that she got spoiled by the amount of hot water available, which means I am not sure about that statement.  I love it.  I have been buying pellets by the ton for the most part.  So far I have burned 6 and a half tons since mid July.  Two tons were burned before Mid October,mostly for hot water and a little heat.  Since then I have been heating the 2700 square foot house and a small workshop in my garage.  Pellet usage I now about a ton every three weeks.  There are a couple of caveats .  One is that I have not found the best pellets yet.  Two is that I had some work done on the house and the contractors were using the garage to do some work in.  With my permission, they used the heater in the workshop to make the uninsulated garage comfortable.  This really increased pellet usage. 
I would definitely get the add on pellet hopper.  I can put a ton of pellets in, and only have to pull ashes forward and throw some ashtrol in everyday.  I do check it everyday, it is a wood burning furnace, but it is pretty easy to maintain.  I clean it out once every three weeks or so.  I would have purchased a owb if I was younger and had a woodlot available,but I am happy with the maxim.

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »

Thank you all again for the feedback!  I really appreciate it as 2 of these may be a front-running option in my quest to find another less-physical heating option.  It's not that I'm getting too old to handle wood yet.  I just have so much other stuff to keep up with and 35-40 cord of wood eats up a lot of my time.  Seems every year I get more longer lasting aches and pains also. 

Keep it coming!!  I love information. 

Thank you,
Jeff
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Onlypellets

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »

It's all in the quality of the pellets, I pay a little more per ton but they are all softwood and they are 8000+ BTU per # and very clean, 1% ash.

I pay $225.00 per ton DELIVERED and soon I will be buying it in bulk so it will be cheaper yet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »

It's all in the quality of the pellets, I pay a little more per ton but they are all softwood and they are 8000+ BTU per # and very clean, 1% ash.

thats good advertising..all wood is over 8000 btu per pound ( i think it is around 8600)...how many btu per pound you recover can be different in many different circumstances
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Onlypellets

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »

http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/311.html     

There might be some good reading here for you.

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »

Dwneast.  Here's a deal for you i saw on Craigslist Chicago site

Central Boiler Maxim Wood Pellet / Corn Heat - $3995 (60951)

Date: 2012-12-28, 9:09PM CST
Reply to this post vmqhg-3481489266@sale.craigslist.org[?]
I will not respond to scammers IE reply address different than sender. Don't waste your time on me find another patsy.
PRICE REDUCED!
For sale is a used 175,000 BTU outside boiler $9,000 new. This unit was used for 3 seasons and was removed as the owner replaced it with a conventional wood boiler. Stored in my shed for the past year. Burn seed corn, field corn, soybeans, or wood pellets. Includes additional large hopper and automatic feed auger $?? new. Propane ignition. Call or text 815-three eight 3- two six zero 7 This is a steal at this price. I'm selling because I have a property with woods and have 25 cords split, I really need a regular wood furnace to use that resource.
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

gmmaxim250

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 06:07:08 AM »

That would be the smaller unit...if it has been burning corn, make sure that it is super clean, corn will burn but it will be really gummy etc--.talk about expensive heat.  Unless you can grow your own.  It is possible to mix corn and pellets.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »

thats good advertising..all wood is over 8000 btu per pound ( i think it is around 8600)...how many btu per pound you recover can be different in many different circumstances

Lol that's what I was thinking Willie lol

Wood is wood, no matter if it's hard or soft
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697